31st May 1907. View of urinal at top of Armley Town Street in Charlie Cake Park. In the background West Leeds High School is visible still under construction.
Originally called Whingate Park, Charlie Cake Park was named after a Pudsey peddler who sold cakes in Armley and rested his horse on the land on his way home. His most popular cake, thought to resemble shortbread was triangular in shape and called a Charley cake after the peddler.
West Leeds High School looking across Charlie Cake Park. The school opened on 7th September 1907 and was based on the design of a school in Switzerland. In the park was a large shed used by gentlemen for playing cards and dominoes and at the top of the park was an underground toilet.
In the centre is Armley Babies Welcome. Leeds Babies Welcome Association began as a charitable and benevolent fund, providing centres where mothers and babies could visit for advice on childcare, health and nutrition. The first Welcome opened in 1909 and the association finished in 1974. The multi-storey flats in the background are called Burnsall Court and Christ Church is visible to the left.
15th January 1958. Image is taken from across Armley Moor looking onto the rear of numbers 11, 12 and 13 Ellis Fold. An old advertisement is visible on the building promoting Windsor Painter and Paper hanger. Over this has been displayed an advertisement for milk.
19th December 1957. Image taken across Far Fold Moor looking onto number 22 Far Fold, a large detached through terrace house where a sign advertises A. Ford, firewood and logs. On the right is number 14 Far Fold.
6th November 1957. On the left of the image are numbers 27 and 28, two through terrace houses with number 29 a large detached run down property on the right. A group of children are gathered in front of number 29 while in the foreground the grassed area of Far Fold Moor is visible.
View of Hill Top Moor, looking west. This open space had once been used as a public tenter field. Cloth was pegged and stretched out to dry as part of the finishing process. Far Fold and Armley Moor were also used as tenter fields.
Theaker Lane. A board promoting Wimpey can be seen at the side of the road. The nearest block is Burnsall Gardens with Burnsall Court further along Theaker Lane. Both blocks were constructed in 1963 to a height of 36 metres on 12 floors. Armley Moor is to the left and Christ church is visible left of centre.
This image is from the late 1940s and shows Town Street in the direction of Stocks Hill. Armley Moor is to the left, where trees and seating follow the line of the pavement. In the distance the spire of St. Bartholomew’s Church is visible in Wesley Road.
6th March 1964, View looking over open land on Ley Lane onto the blind backs of houses on Prospect Grove. A mattress can be seen in the foreground.
19th February 1935 Street of brick terrace houses, Lay Lane, two storey with small front gardens. To left, wall boundary to open land. Photo is marked ‘Proposed pavilion. Armley Common Trustees’. Armley Common Rights Trust was founded after the enclosure acts to protect peoples rights to the remaining common land.
Thank you to Leodis for the use of the images and pictures. All text and images © Leodis